Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pictures That Lie



I chose the picture of the mythical jackalope. I had never heard of this fictitious animal, and at first thought it was real when I saw this photo! The picture originated from a Colorado postcard. Antlers were added to a photo of a rabbit to achieve this effect. It was manipulated in order to "create" a new species of animal. This manipulation is not harmful as long as the viewer knows there is no such animal as a jackalope, and that the picture has been altered.

5 comments:

  1. You chose the same picture as me. You've really never heard of the jackalope?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby, pictures like this can be dangerous. You were decieved into believing that this creature was real, the photoshopper of this image brought fear into your life and I certainly cannot stand for that.
    PS- Great entry.
    Onward fellow blogger,
    Travis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Abby (haha),

    I agree, a picture of an invented antlered rabbit should not be harmful to anyone...unless they try to find one to keep as a pet and then become clinically insane...in that case, photo alteration is definitely not good.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, actually, the jackalope is a realy animal. It's a large rabbit/bunny type animal. However, it does not have antlers. I only know because there are jackalopes that run all around my hometown.
    Hope I helped inform you!
    Larissa

    ReplyDelete